Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Beating My Head Against The Wall: Part 3

Really?  More fingerprints???  I think this will be the 5th time that we have needed fingerprints for this process, as if somehow they have changed in the last 3 1/2 years.

The US Embassy is reviewing our case and is finding things that need revising (such as an easily-correctable translation error).  They have requested that both birth moms be re-interviewed, and Lord willing that will happen on February 19th.

The crown jewel of frustration, though, is that the Embassy has requested that we update our fingerprints!  Theoretically this can be accomplished before the 19th, but please pray that there will be no delays.  Our agency is working to try to get us an expedited appointment at the immigration office.  We even ended up sending our paperwork to the office in Texas overnight.  I am once again thankful to have our adoption account available because we had a check to write to the immigration office to accompany our fingerprinting request.

I confess I was working hard on my attitude today.  Both Philip and I felt like biting random people's heads off just to vent our frustration. I mentioned to Philip that I wish I could see the bigger picture.  What exactly is God accomplishing by a longer wait?  If only I knew in my heart that this delay was heaven-sanctioned.  I know it in my head, of course, but occasionally there is a large distance between this short girl's head and heart.

These past two weeks I've been so diligent to prepare to travel.  I have a few suitcases packed with donations, their room is almost clean and organized and perfectly ready.  I've even been skipping classes just to get stuff done around the house in preparation for their arrival.  Nagging at the back of my mind is the fear that this "pregnancy" will never end and people will begin to think we've been lying to them about this adoption simply because we have no kiddos yet!  Silly, I know.

Worry had its moment today.  What if something goes horribly wrong?  How much more is this process going to be delayed?  What happens if my kids outgrow all the clothes I have for them?  Will I be able to see Anya's first steps?  Will they even remember us?  And please may we get the kids home before Anya's first birthday at the end of March!  

In my frantic prayers to God, I asked to see His fingerprints in this process.  I would love to be reminded, as only God can, that this delay is not overlooked by Him, and that He has a reason for allowing it.

Bottom line: We will not be traveling until sometime after the 19th (the length of time is nebulous). Please join us in praying that our fingerprint appointment and subsequent paperwork-shuffling will also be complete by then and that the required forms will arrive in Addis as quickly as possible.  Please also pray for our kids' birth-moms as their process is being drawn out and their heartstrings are pulled again.

Thanks for your interest, love, and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that there is at least one Grandma (probably 2) who is also wondering if this "pregnancy" will ever end. What will happen to delay it next? Or are we running out of delays? I believe part of God's timing for this has been waiting for my health to improve enough to go, but I am ready now!
    I know that the first few weeks are going to be especially difficult with jet lag and screaming and all, but you will get into the groove, and before you know it Jayce and Anya will both be giggling at Daddy's silliness, and will be well-adjusted, happy little kids. You will always need to depend on God's grace and help, but know that after the first 2-3 weeks, you will see little improvements every day that will fill your heart with unspeakable joy.
    I remember focusing on the "losses" involved with having a baby, and looking back now after all the years of joy, the losses I was worried about were mostly molehills that looked like mountains from my pre-birth perspective. Motherhood is definitely going to challenge you and grow you, but it is also going to delight you beyond imagination.
    I LOVE YOU! I CAN'T WAIT!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete