Thursday, October 17, 2013

Anticipating

On a "date" at the park
Things are getting close! Yesterday afternoon we had a pre-travel phone conference with our agency. I did learn some things, which I will share with you after this brief commercial.

Our adoption puzzle. :) Yes. See that lion picture on the right of your screen? That’s a 1,000 piece puzzle upstairs in our kids' room. We started the puzzle as a fundraiser to help with the $25,000+ of adoption expenses. To date, all of our agency expenses are paid for. Now, we are looking toward airfare (twice!), and in-country expenses such as food, lodging, travel visas, transportation, etc. We have been blessed to have 647 pieces sponsored, which has brought in $6,470. The remaining 353 pieces are still available for sponsorship at $10/piece. Completing the puzzle would provide the rest of the funds we will need to bring our kiddos home. Would you consider sharing this opportunity with your friends and family? Click the lion picture for more information.

Goofing off with my friend's daughters
Now, back to the conference call. As some of you know, we have been waiting for our “court date”. This is when Philip and I are required to appear before an Ethiopian judge and commit to providing for our precious kiddos. Our agency gave us a list of the paperwork that we will need to have on hand with us in Ethiopia during that time:
  • Delegation of Parents to Orphanage: authorization for the orphanage to continue to care for our kiddos between our first and second trips
  • I600 - Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative
  • I-864W – Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption
  • DS-260 – Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration 
  • Privacy Act Release Statement for Adoption Cases
  • Ethiopian Visa with Entry Stamp ($20/each)
  • US Embassy Fees (in cash): $230 per child and $720 for second child’s I-600
That incredibly good looking man I married

More paperwork. My favorite. Actually, this is a short list, and won’t be too bad!

As we have known, both birth-mothers are required to travel to the capital city and give testimony regarding the adoption to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA). One of our kids’ birth-moms was able to do this before the court closure, but the other was unable to travel at that time. Her MOWA interview is on the 22nd. We should be hearing within a few days after that about our assigned court date. We should have anywhere from 10 days to a few weeks notice before we need to appear in court.
Philip, Lexie and Katie

On a more personal note, I’ve spent so much time thinking about the precious women that carried and gave birth to my kids. What are they like? What are their hopes and dreams? What circumstances drove them to choose adoption? Is there anyone that can comfort them in their grief? What little we know about our childrens’ stories is a heartbreaking tale of poverty and dead ends. I am mindful of their pain and forever thankful for the privilege these women have granted me of raising my children.

I continue to be rather scatterbrained, to the point it’s almost comical. Thankfully, my friends have chosen to see the humor in my air-headedness! I sure hope this “prego-brain” is temporary. Just this morning I was driving to Bible study and decided to spend the time in prayer. Upon arriving at my destination, I realized that I had just spent the last 15 minutes daydreaming about meeting my kiddos for the first time. Oops. I am grateful for a God that sees my good intention, and for a Spirit that intercedes on my behalf! I need much intersession!

Thank you for your prayers and support during this time. Happy Autumn, enjoy the cooler weather and Fall colors.



No comments:

Post a Comment